|SAVED BY THE FLOODS? Official handover now delayed.|
They’re blaming it on the rain but if the skies hadn’t opened up, might there have been something else?
Chances are, yes: because Frank Bainimarama has a track record for changing his mind.
The 2006 coup leader was supposed to officially step down as the commander of the RFMF, yesterday, February 28.
|CAUSING A STIR: A good Kean man?|
He was also supposed to name his successor and that successor was to have been at the helm tomorrow, March 1.
The ‘grand farewell’ the RFMF has, however, been boasting about in recent weeks has been delayed: the regime has cited the storm for its decision and has not indicated when the changeover will now take place.
The country is definitely being battered by rain and wind, yet news the farewell parade might get ditched actually came through to us early on Tuesday, a day before the official announcement.
We had asked sources what exactly had been planned for the handover and were told everything was supposed to take place Friday and Saturday ‘but with the hurricane coming, let’s see what Frank decides. He always finds excuses!!!’
|Dissension: Sources insist Mosese Tikoitoga has been bypassed.|
“Frank has found it easy to postpone the announcement until further notice ….. he always finds excuses.”
The official word is Bainimarama wants to be out showing his support for the people and the RFMF clearly want to farewell him in pomp and ceremony, but there will be a lot of people waiting to see when, and if, the handover takes place.
So as they say: watch this space.
Sources have meanwhile reiterated there is no truth to the suggestion officers unhappy at talk of Kean taking over as commander, will be arrested. They say Bainimarama has pretty much told officers that if they don’t like it, they can go home, ie take leave.
|Too close? Khaiyum and Bunn Young.|
The laptop, which C4.5 has been told has been recovered, contained the names and details of voters for the regime’s September elections.
Khaiyum has admitted the ‘sensitive data’ on the laptop included an electronic copy of the national register of voters and ‘statistical analysis’ of the information.
|Ghai: Broken after police burnt copies of Constitution.|
There is today further condemnation about Khaiyum suggesting the political parties had a hand in the theft and saying the Electoral Commission should not tolerate senior staff engaging in what he claimed were ‘political activities’.
“As we have previously stated before, the independence and integrity of the Commission was questionable and more so now with this incident.”
“It complained of massive interference and pressure from both the interim Prime Minister and Mr Sayed-Khaiyum. The commissioners and their staff must resist such interventions.
“They are responsible for conducting a free and fair election, not Mr Sayed-Khaiyum.”
He says the theft does not compromise the elections and the employee involved, Rejieli Lasione, has not been dismissed.
C4.5 revealed yesterday the laptop was stolen from an election official’s home but kept quiet.
|Raman Singh: Parties being fed ‘scraps.’|
Illegal attorney general Aiyaz Sayed Khaiyum was forced to tell media the laptop went missing ten days ago. He blamed the official, Rejieli Lesione, for taking it without authority and failing to report the theft quickly.
He also tried to suggest political parties had a hand in it saying: “We are very concerned there may be some people with political inclination or maybe even political parties who may be involved to access that information.”
But as noted by the National Federation Party his explanation shows the illegal government has, despite protestations, continued to try to give Frank Bainimarama’s as yet unannounced political party the edge.
|Kean: reported to be the new commander of RFMF|
Unconfirmed reports Frank Bainimarama has picked his brother-in-law, Francis Kean, to succeed him as the commander in chief of the RFMF.
There has been no formal announcement, but a decision on a new commander was expected this Friday, when Frank Bainimarama is due to step down and name his political party for the elections.
Intel sources say they’ve been notified Bainimarama has settled on Kean - because he is family and will provide the security he needs as he waits out the September election.
Kean is the brother of Bainimarama’s wife, Mary.
C4.5 has been told the internal announcement Bainimarama’s brother-in-law will lead Fiji’s military forces is not going down well with top officers, including land force commander, Mosese Tikoitoga.
It’s widely believed Kean has no leadership qualities and has a ‘bad attitude.’
Bloggers will remember Kean was put in charge of Fiji’s navy in 2010 after he served time in jail for manslaughter, a move which almost triggered an internal coup.
He was subsequently removed and installed at the Army Strat HQ before being made permanent secretary of Works, Transport and Public Utilities in 2011.
There will also be disquiet among those who remember Kean served just 18 months for the death of John Whippy in 2006.
Whippy was drunk and insulted Kean at the wedding reception of Bainimarama’s daughter, Ateca, at the Royal Suva Yacht Club.
He died after being punched and kicked by Kean.
The original charge of murder was dropped to manslaughter and many said Kean got off lightly because he was Bainimarama’s brother-in-law.
Sources say Kean will take over from Bainimarama on March 1.
Source: MINISTRY OF INFORMATION
The handover ceremony for the new Commander of the Republic of Fiji Military Forces, initially scheduled for this Friday at the Queen Elizabeth Barracks in Suva, has been postponed.
The ceremony had been planned for incumbent Commander and Prime Minister Commodore Voreqe Bainimarama to name his successor and hand over command.
The new date for the event has not been announced.
This blog isn’t surprised at all by the announcement. It was all part of a grand fiasco where fiasco was a grandiose part of, not only his illegal style of governance, but his entire existence.
Source – TFS; Posted by Rusi Varani for SWM
|Dirty dealing: and paid for by taxpayers.|
Fiji’s self-appointed prime minister has been kissing babies and asses since it hired Qorvis and started the Fiji Ministry of Information – his office is now unashamedly sending ‘vote for me’ tweets.
Bloggers will see the tweets also pre-empt the supposed decision at the ballot box: @Fijipm.
Frank Bainimarama made himself leader after he couped the country in 2006 so no surprises about his audacity and the propaganda machine to keep him in power.
The campaign to bring chiefs onside is also not new but even media are noting that Frank Bainimarama’s office and MINFO are also now releasing pressers about chiefs who support the coup leader.
The chiefs are passing on Bainimarama’s campaign messages.
Encouraging to see that political parties and officials are not
|STRIKE BACK: Reply from Waqavonovonovono.|
giving up the fight: SODELPA’s newly appointed interim youth leader, Pita Waqavonovo, was quick to jump on the tweet and to fire a letter off to the Fiji Sun.
The fight for democracy in FIji is not over and Bainimarama could be in for a few surprises – if he ever has the guts to allow the elections to be ‘clean’.
News, today, too that a laptop containing some very important information for the upcoming elections was stolen during the weekend.
The laptop was being held by one of the election officials and contained crucial data.
The media has not been alerted yet: we wonder why?
|Pensioners fund being sucked dry|
This Bainimarama Government is an unelected government which seized power through a military coup in 2006.